Hip Gig Stretch

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ruffle Tree Skirt

Hi,

A few months ago, a friend of mine asked me if I had seen the "no sew ruffle tree skirt" on Pinterest. She thought that it would be a good project for my blog. I had not, but immediately looked it up. I loved it! Plus, my existing tree skirt was in desperate need of a make over. When I found some beautiful unbleached fabric at Hobby Lobby, I knew that it was a project match made in heaven.

Normally, I get inspiration from other people and do something to make it my own. However, I pretty much copied this blog. I would definitely recommend checking it out. She gives great directions, but I have included my own below.

You will need

  • 6 yards of fabric
  • Glue gun and glue
  • Old or cheap tree skirt
  • Scissors
  • Yard stick
  • Sharpie or other pen






*Note 1: The original blog recommends 4 yards of fabric. I cut my strips wider than she did and ended up needing more fabric. Or maybe my ruffles were too tight. Who knows. I used a little less than 6 yards.
*Note 2: The original blog recommends using a rotary cutter. If you have one, use it. I do not have one and it was quite the undertaking to try and cut all of these long strips in a straight line.

Here is what my original tree skirt looked like. I bought it at Target for $3.00 five years ago. It was definitely time for an upgrade.
Say hello to my eager little helper.
First things first, I cut my original 4 yards in half to make the length a little bit more manageable. Notice my helpful little helper :)

 I decided to make my strips 4 1/4" wide. I thought that this would make for less work because the strips were wider. I am not sure that is how it worked out.

First, I made dots with my Sharpie 4 1/4" from the edge of the fabric about every 20". You can see my dot in the photo above. I then place my yardstick so that it connected the dots and created a guideline using yellow highlighter. The highlighter line was only noticeable if you really looked for it.
Next, I cut along the highlighter line to create a long strip. Repeat process until you have cut all of the fabric into strips. It would be some much easier to use a rotary cutter :)

You should have a big pile of strips like this.
Next step is to basically fold the strips to create ruffles and then glue them concentric circles. I found that it was easiest to fold 4-6 ruffles where they would go on the tree skirt and then glue underneath like so.
I started at the very edge and was able to make the skirt bigger that it was before.
When one strip ended, I glued the strips together and continued on with the ruffle pattern.
Once I got to the end of the tree skirt, I felt that it looked a little unfinished. 
 I decided to put a band around the top. I cut a skinny strip, about an inch - inch and half. 
I glued the band around the top of tree skirt, making pleats as necessary, but not ruffling like the rest of the skirt.

Here is the finished product.

I was really pleased with how it turned out and hope that you will be too. Make it your own.

~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment