Hip Gig Stretch

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

An inspirational weekend

Hi,

I had a wonderfully creative and inspirational weekend and hope that you did too.

On Saturday, my husband and I went to the Brookhaven Arts Festival. This is a local festival with primarily local artists.

It was a beautiful fall Saturday as we strolled through the vendors. We stopped and talked many of them; each with an interesting story of how they got their start and what inspired them to produce their art.

What amazed me most was the range of styles and art types. Each artist had a stamp that made the work uniquely their own. The subject matter and media were the things that drove them to create.

One of the standouts to me was a man who took license plates and cut the letters out to spell messages such as WELCOME and HOME SWEET HOME. They also wrapped license plates back on themselves to make pencil holders. I never would have thought to use license plates that way. Another standout was a lady who made beautiful leaf platters using the imprint of an actual leaf.

In addition to going to a festival and seeing all of the different vendors, I would recommend going with some one else. I went with my sweet husband and not only did we enjoy a wonderful Saturday together, but he also noticed details that I did not. This added an additional layer to my festival experience. I would highly recommend going!

If you are looking for a festival, there are few that are coming up in the Atlanta area. There is the Chastain Arts Festival on November 5-6. For more information visit their website. Marist is also having their annual arts festival on Saturday, November 5. You can also find additional information on the school's website. Just a note, there is a $3 admission charge.

I hope that you find the time to go to an arts festival in your area. Please leave any festivals that are not mentioned here in the comment section, and remember to make it your own.

~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment