Hip Gig Stretch

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Post-It-Note Holder

Hi!

I don't have a typical desk. I sit at a kidney shaped table that it first grader height. The problem is that I don't have any drawers, so it is hard to for everything to have its "spot." I am so bad about moving things as I move and then forgetting where I put them.

When I saw the Post-It-Note holder on pinterest, I knew that it would be perfect for my desk. With this I will always know where my post its are.

Here is what you will need to make your own:
  • Glue gun
  • Scrapbook paper (other type of paper like wall paper or wrapping paper would also work)
  • Acrylic frame - I used a 4"x6"
  • Ribbon or embellishments of your choice
  • Xacto knife
  • Scissors
  • Double sided tape
  • Post It Notes


The picture frames are readily available at places such as Micheal's, Hobby Lobby, Target, Wal-Mart etc. They are very reasonable.

First, remove the promotional paper from the inside of the frame and use it to mark the appropriate size on the back your decorative paper.
I traced two rectangles because I wanted the pattern to be the same on the front and back.
Next, use an Xacto (or scissors) and a straight edge  to cut out the rectangles that will fill your picture frame. If you are using an Xacto knife, be sure to put something underneath what you are cutting so you don't cut your table.
Place your rectangles in the picture frame.
Next, use the picture frame to measure an appropriate length of ribbon. Be sure to leave a little extra at this point. You can always trim it later if you need to.
The next steps do not have pictures. Sorry! My ribbon of choice was a 1 1/2" turquoise grosgrain and a 3/16" white polyester ribbon with loops on the side. After measuring one length of the grosgrain and two lengths of the white, I hot glued the white on top of the turquoise in parallel lines. I found that it worked best to make a line of glue on the turquoise and place the white on top, rather than putting the glue on the white and then laying it on the turquoise.

After the ribbon had dried, I tucked one end inside the picture frame, between the two pieces of paper.
Then, I put two lines of hot glue on the picture frame to glue the ribbon on the front. Repeat on the back.
You can trim the excess to be even with the edge of the frame. I chose to tuck the second end into the picture frame as well.
While the glue is setting, get your post it pad. Place two (or three) pieces of double stick tape on the back of the pad.
 Finally, stick the pad to the frame. Be sure to stick it where you want it the first time. If you try to pull it off to re-stick, you will most likely pull the pad apart. Then the top part of the pad will never stick as well to the rest of the pad.




There are lots of ways that this can be personalized - from paper choices to ribbon choice to adding other embellishments to the frame. Make it your own.

Look how cute mine looks on my desk!

No comments:

Post a Comment